Tuesday, August 23, 2016

While we are sending our Flat Stanley's out wherever they may go - we are going to study the continents in alphabetical order.  Our first continent is, of course, Africa!  I have updated the Africa page to show the books that I have gotten thus far.  I have to add the DVD's and some more websites that I used for information on Africa and to record what we have learned. 

I haven't yet gotten a response for Flat Stanley from anyone on the continent of Africa, but am very hopeful that we will before the year ends.

Some of my favorite picture books, so far, are Mama Panya's Pancakes:  A Village Tale from Kenya by Mary and Rich Chamberlain.  I am sure most mom's have felt like Mama Panya at times when their children's generosity overrides their sensibilities.  It also includes some info on Kenya and life in Kenya and a recipe for Mama Panya's Pancakes!  Bonus!  Love books that include recipes.  We also enjoyed Lila and the Secret of Rain by David Conway and Jude Daily. 

Product DetailsAnother title I am going to add, but haven't gotten out is The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind by William Kamkwamba in the picture book edition.  I haven't read that particular edition, but loved the young reader's edition.  I think anyone can appreciate the ingenuity and ambition of William Kambwamba. 


No comments:

Post a Comment